Worship the Lord (Youth Trip)
Colossians 3:16 gives this instruction: "Let the word of Christ dwell in your richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God."
That passage helps us understand that one the main functions of music in the church is to teach. It also helps us appreciate the rich teaching we've received from the hymns of the past.
For the past several weeks, our youth group has been studying what it means to worship God. They've studied that topic on Sunday nights and at D-nights, and one of the activities they've done is look at various hymns to see what they teach us.
Here's a list of the songs they've studied, along with a file you can view or download to help you study the song as well.
- "Amazing Grace" / "What a Savior"
- "And Can it Be" / "How Deep the Father's Love For Us"
- "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" / "Before the Throne of God Above"
- "Blessed Be Your Name" / "My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less"
- "In Christ Alone" / "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name"
- "Jesus Shall Reign" / "There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood"
These studies were put together by Erick Cardenas for the youth group. I hope they also help you gain an appreciation for the gift of music in the church.
Also, if you want to see a schedule of what the Youth group will be doing and studying this week, check out the 2017 Youth Booklet. It includes:
- A schedule for the week
- Fact page: The difference between sequoias and redwoods
- Daily devotionals
- Spaces to take notes for each day's message
- Song lyrics
During this trip, our youth will be studying Psalms 1, 19, 73, and 95. Feel free to download the booklet for yourself and study alongside our young men and women. And don't forget to keep praying for everyone on the trip.
Blessings in Christ!